Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Thinking like Sam Beaver

In The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White, Sam Beaver ended each diary entry with a question.  Sometimes it related to the subject of his entry, and sometimes it was random.  The purpose was "to give him something to think about while falling asleep" (pages 6-7).

Thinking just might be a lost art.  Before my children leave my authority, I want them to be able to think.

Here's my question:  How will I accomplish this?

I have a feeling it will take more than a really great logic program.

 Hip Homeschool Hop Button

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I love this! What a great overarching goal to keep on the horizon. Share your thoughts as you come up with ideas to reach this goal! I think great literature, like Trumpet of the Swan, is a huge step in this direction.

Kelly said...

I love this! What a great overarching goal to keep on the horizon. Share your thoughts as you come up with plans! I think filling their minds with great literature, like Trumpet of the Swan, is a huge step in meeting this goal!

Amy Maze said...

Hummm...I know I commented on this a few days ago...maybe I did something wrong, or maybe with Kelly's double post above, blogger is just doing something funny.

Anyways, I love what you said about teaching your children to think. Thanks for sharing it with us at Trivium Tuesdays! I hope you will share with us again this week!