Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Home is still sweet.

Is home still as sweet when it moves 254 miles?

So far, it looks promising! I hope to know the answer for sure very soon. Right now, I am still buried in boxes and slightly overwhelmed with being a foreigner at home.

Here are the facts:

  • 65 is the new 55. (Miles per hour.)
  • U-turns are scary but necessary around here.
  • The mover/packer said, "I packed a lot of books."
  • Today (four days after arrival) I experienced my first 20 minutes of silence with the boys in the house. Upon investigation, I discovered that they had unpacked the first box of books.
  • I can't get a library card without a current driver's license or a bill from my residence, of which I have none. Yet.
  • I have gone backwards considerably in Internet service...I hope this blog post uploads before midnight.
  • Our vehicles must pass inspections before we can acquire local tags. I hope ours pass.
  • I wanted to shout for joy when I found out that I don't have to take a test to get a new driver's license.
  • Equal parts baking soda and Borax plus a few pinches of ground cloves works like magic to deodorize old carpet.
  • An advantage to not knowing anyone nearby is that we are able to focus on our family without many distractions. However, I doubt this will be the case for long because we have already met several very nice locals and have promises to be introduced to more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been praying that God would bless you all in the move, and miss you guys already!
:)
Adam

AMAY said...

So glad to hear things are going well. We are praying for a easy and peaceful settling in for y'all. 20 minutes of quiet....worth packing and moving a LOT of books!!