Thursday, February 17, 2011

Reading

This is the stack I am currently digesting. On top, Classical Education and the Homeschool has been helpful in summarizing the classical subjects such as Logic and Latin and making me think maybe I can handle them. Next Elder Walter Cash's Autobiography has been very interesting especially regarding the errors the church encountered in his day and how she withstood them. Third, The Centurion's Wife might be good if I had time to read the whole thing in a short period of time; however, I only get snatches at a time, so the continuity of the story is lost. So far, Teaching the Trivium has had some enlightening sections like how Charlotte Mason, Unschooling, and Scope and Sequence fits in with Classical. But I don't think I will be referring back to the book as a whole after I read it once. On the bottom of the stack is The Well-Trained Mind. I have a feeling that this will be my guidebook for the next several years. This is one I will probably buy every time a new edition is released. I love how they explain their plan, tell you why it is a good plan, and then list all the resources you need to carry it out on your own. Many of the resources are familiar and proven to me already, which is one reason I am willing to try the ones with which I am not familiar. This is the book that gets me excited about homeschooling. My feeble mind needs some exercise. This should help.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: