Thursday, September 15, 2011

Favorite Read-Alouds This Week

By Thing1:
Baby in a Basket.  I loved that one.  Some travelers found her. 

By Thing2:
The Bravest Knight.  I wish I could be a knight.  He was trying to save the little boy.  The guy with the little slingshot went Psshshs! [boy noise that is impossible to spell].

By Me:
Baby in a Basket by Gloria Rand was fun because it was short enough to read aloud in a few minutes, but it actually had some suspense with a happy ending.  Thing1 held onto my arm tighter and tighter while we read and then on the last page exhaled, smiled, and said, "Oh, I like that!"

I do not know how many times I read The Bravest Knight by Mercer Mayer this week.  They love it, but I can see the difference in their maturity levels with this one.  Thing2 at first did not understand that most of the book is the boy's imagination.  I had to keep telling him that trolls and fire-breathing dragons are not real but just make believe.  I think he may be starting to understand.  On the other hand, Thing1 got the humor in the pretend world of the little boy.

No comments: