Friday, September 2, 2011

Phonics Advice, Please.

In the last two weeks, Thing1 has worked on the long O sound.  He has read 'O' words like coach, go, cone, foe, grow, etc. and then mapped them.  Here's an example of the map inspired by Phono-Graphix's system. 



I did the writing; he showed me where to put the word and told me how to spell it.  I am letting him get more comfortable with writing before I make him write a lot.  I hope that will allow him to learn phonics while eliminating some of the frustration of "school work" while he is so young.

The next step is "scratch-sheet spelling drill."  The student is supposed to write each 'o' word with all the possible spellings of 'o' (oa, o_e, etc.) and circle the one that looks right to them.  Example:  The spelling word is 'goat.'  The student should write 'gote, got, gowt, goat' and then decide which one is correct.

I realize that this program is used a lot for remedial reading instruction, so I wonder if I should make the words really simple and do this with Thing1 or if I should skip it for now until he is older, letting the mapping be our spelling lessons.

I know at least two people who are familiar with this system and a lot more who have experience teaching kids to read.  Help me out, please!

2 comments:

Aunt Tee said...

I think you have the right idea about this issue. Even though I only have experience using Phonographix as remedial, I believe the scratch sheet spelling would be most useful when spelling is introduced.
I am very anxious to see how the program is used with young children as the foundation for their reading instruction. I will be following your blog with much interest. Thanks! God Bless!

Marmie07 said...

I agree with Aunt Tee. Scratch sheet spelling is a great way to show the student that there is variation in the code. When they spell they have to depend on visual or graphics along with phonics. How long they will need to ss spell varies with each child. I think if you introduce this concept you will have a good reference point to aid your student when he has trouble spelling a word. I naturally ss spell when I can't quite remember how to spell a word!