Inspired by Pinterest: Sensory play with colored spaghetti.
1. Added a jumbo-sized box of spaghetti along with a good bit of oil to boiling water and cooked for seven or eight minutes.
2. Drained spaghetti and rinsed with cold water.
3. Divided spaghetti between two zip-loc bags and added lots of food coloring to each one.
4. Shook the bags.
5. Repeated steps 1 through 4 with another box of spaghetti.
6. Kept it in the fridge until it was time to play.
How it turned out:
A little sticky. All in all, very satisfying in a messy way. It made enough for six or eight kids to play with. Their favorite part was cutting the "hair" with scissors.
What I would do differently:
1. A little more oil after coloring maybe?
2. Next time I will put some newspaper under the work area so we can just throw the mess away instead of picking up tiny, sticky spaghetti pieces off the floor.
What surprised me:
Thing2 (6) liked it more than Thing1 (3 1/2).
What I liked:
As I was distributing the spaghetti, Thing2 commented on the look, the feel, the smell, and the taste. Sensory, indeed!