Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sensory Spaghetti

Pin It

Inspired by Pinterest:  Sensory play with colored spaghetti.

How I did it:
1.  Added a jumbo-sized box of spaghetti along with a good bit of oil to boiling water and cooked for seven or eight minutes.
2.  Drained spaghetti and rinsed with cold water.
3.  Divided spaghetti between two zip-loc bags and added lots of food coloring to each one.
4.  Shook the bags.
5.  Repeated steps 1 through 4 with another box of spaghetti.
6.  Kept it in the fridge until it was time to play.

How it turned out:
A little sticky.  All in all, very satisfying in a messy way.  It made enough for six or eight kids to play with.  Their favorite part was cutting the "hair" with scissors.

What I would do differently:
1.  A little more oil after coloring maybe?
2.  Next time I will put some newspaper under the work area so we can just throw the mess away instead of picking up tiny, sticky spaghetti pieces off the floor.

What surprised me:
Thing2 (6) liked it more than Thing1 (3 1/2).

What I liked:
As I was distributing the spaghetti, Thing2 commented on the look, the feel, the smell, and the taste.  Sensory, indeed!


They cooked snake food, cut hair, wound it around fingers, used machinery (tongs) to move mounds, and searched for monkeys (from Barrel of Monkeys) in the noodles..

1 comment:

AMAY said...

What a great idea! I think Hannah would have fun with this, and I know Daniel would. I could even Get Hannah to make the noodles! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!