Saturday, March 9, 2013

Spelling Power

At the beginning of the second semester of first grade, we needed a spelling program because Thing1 had outgrown our Reading Reflex routine.

I remember my mother liking Spelling Power for some of her children, and I have a friend who uses it currently and recommends it highly. I decided to give it a try.

Here's why I love it:
  • Buy one book, and you have spelling lists for elementary through adult levels.
  • A placement test determines the student's level rather than using a "first grade" or "second grade" list. In other words, the spelling words are always challenging.
  • The student takes a five-minute test every day and only has to study the words he misses on the test.  Tomorrow, he will have only the words he missed from today's test plus more new ones.
  • Using the methods Spelling Power outlines to study the missed words really works to solidify the spelling in the student's memory. There are even some Montessori-inspired components.
  • And here's the big one: For a student to whom first grade academics come easily, it is great to have ten minutes (or more, depending on attitudes) a day when that student gets to learn how to get something wrong, study, and try again.
Unfortunately, Thing1 does not share my love for this program, but he did approve this post before publishing.

**This is a real review. No compensation.**

1 comment:

Marmie07 said...

I am glad you like this program. It is a very clever way to learn spelling. To me spelling is not best taught but is best caught, if you know what I mean :)